The Dairy Cottage, built between 1798 – 1805, is one of the earliest surviving cottages in Australia. The Cottage is located in Parramatta Park, the whole Park being of State significance and on the State Heritage Register.
The Dairy Cottage was originally a one room cottage and is one of the earliest surviving cottages in Australia today. It was originally built for the ex-convict George Salter.
During the period 1814 – 1816, under Governor Macquarie’s instructions, the cottage was converted to a Dairy and a sunken dairy room (milk room) was constructed beside the original cottage.
This milk room was located under one of two pavilions added to each side of the Dairy by Governor Macquarie. The sunken milk room still remains today. It can be viewed beneath the nearby Ranger’s Cottage which was built in 1875.
The cottage is open from 10:00 until 15:00 daily.